I am a horrible person when it comes to making goals and sticking to them, but year after year I keep making them. Most of the time they are self improvement goals…and lets face it…improving myself happens on a whim instead of making a goal. For example, in the last 15 years I kept telling myself that I would quit smoking on January 1st of __________ (fill in the blank with every year), but it never happened.
…UNTIL last year, on October 16, 2015
This year instead of trying to set unreachable goals for me, such as lose more weight or socialize more, I figured I would set myself some reachable goals.
(1) Edit my 2015 NaNoWriMo manuscript – 2015 was my first time doing NaNoWriMo and my first time writing. But after I finished it, I put it down and never picked it up again.
(2) Blog at least once a week – this might be difficult because even though I enjoy it, it is probably the one thing that I keep putting off.
(3) Balance my writing and reading – sounds easy, right? Well not for me. I get overly obsessive with thing and will find myself going all in on something while throwing everything else to the side.
(4) Particapate in 2016 NaNoWriMo – can’t wait…just need an idea. I thought about doing NaNo Camp but I don’t think I can handle both.
(5) Write everyday for at least 1 hour – also sounds easy, but not so much for me. I have a difficult time getting butt in seat.
(6) Start a new piece of work, such as a new novel or even a collection of short stories – this might not be too difficult since I will need to start a new piece during NaNoWriMo.
(5) Complete 2 book series – This is also an easy one…I have started reading the Lunar Chronicles this year, already to start book 3. I am also rereading The Mortal Instruments because I never finished the last book, going into book 4. There should be plenty of room to complete some more series.
(6) Lastly, I am taking part in the #readmyowndamnbooks, where you read the books on your own shelf. You make up your own rules, and mine are…1. mostly read my own books, 2. get rid of books I know I am not going to read, and 3. use my library more. Well what can I say…not really going well for me at this moment. I bought A LOT of books in January, but I have also used my library A LOT. So, I am not reading the ones that I am buying. I think I need to fix that problem.
It looks like a lot of goals, but many of them are small goals or even one time things so I should be alright.
Anyone have any interesting writing or reading goals for 2016? If you do, let me know in the comments below.